Radnage is the proud possessor of an ancient charity going back to pre-Stuart times. Known locally as the Radnage Charity and often shrouded in mystery, it has been part of village life for over 500 years. The Charity was formalised in the 17th century by King Charles who made an order in 1632 for the future administration of the estate.
After the payment of administration costs, the annual net income is split into three equal parts for the following purposes:
- the general benefit of the poor persons resident in the Parish of Radnage who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress
- the maintenance and repair of the fabric of the village’s 12th century church
- support for the educational requirements of young people resident in the parish.
This creates a need for three distinct branches of the charity; a “Poors Branch”, a “Church Branch” and an “Educational Branch.” The Charity is administered by seven Trustees to include the Rector and the two Churchwardens of Radnage Church (collectively responsible for the Church Branch), two Parish Council nominees (responsible, jointly with the Rector, for the Poors Branch) and two further trustees (responsible, jointly with the Rector, for the Educational Branch).
The Annual Report for 2012 can be downloaded here.
Further details are available from the Clerk to the Trustees:
Green End Road
Bucks. HP14 4BY.